Thursday, July 3, 2014

Happy 4th of July

It was a long 2 days, but we arrived safely at our son's home on Monday night for the first week of our 3 weeks in upstate NY(remember I am a New Yorker, so  these trips back home really make me happy)!!  Both of our daughters arrived on Tuesday, so we are going to celebrate the 4th of July with a week of family and fun!!  I did manage to do a little sewing during the trip - binding on Brett and Meredith's Bordeaux quilt and a couple of EPP 6 pointed star blocks.  We were barely in the house and Meredith already had their new quilt on the bed.  Doesn't it just warm your heart to know that what we enjoy doing makes everyone so happy!

One of the 6 pointed stars I finished.

We spent Tuesday with the granddaughters (Sydney and Julianne) - swimming, shopping and sewing.  The girls are 6 and 4 and lately they've been asking me to show them how I sew.  I have my sewing machine with me, so this was the perfect opportunity.  Part of our shopping was a trip to JoAnn's (no quilt store convenient to here and I knew they would be all about "character/novelty" fabric and Grandpa wasn't too excited about doing too much shopping) for fabric for 2 doll quilts.  I wish I had taken a video while they were there.  The two of them were a riot as they selected their fabrics.  Sydney found Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fabric right away and I was able to convince her to use that for the back.  She found a pretty sparkly butterfly fabric for the front and we added pink, yellow and green for the other fabrics.  Julianne spotted a cupcake fabric and she was in heaven.  Grandpa Pete found a blue cupcake fabric and we were good to go.  I was able to convince her to add purple and hot pink also. A pink Disney princess fabric will be her backing.
Sydney and her first row
Julianne and her first row

I cut out the squares and we have completed the rows.  I'll do the pressing and then they can sew the rows together.  Sydney is able to sit in a chair and reach the pedal and still see her fabric.  Julianne and I work together  - she does the pedal and I guide the fabric.  A new generation of quilters has been born!!!

Wednesday was a trip to Yankee Stadium to see the Yankees play the Tampa Bay Rays (yes our home team).  I have to say I enjoy watching baseball in our covered air-conditioned stadium in St. Pete.  It was hot sitting out there in the sun.  Fortunately we finally had some shade after an hour or so.  We had a great time at the game - a first visit to the new Yankee Stadium for some of us - even though the Yankees lost.  It's really all about the hot dogs, popcorn, cotton candy and cheering!! Check out the size of the pink popcorn bucket that both girls are diving into!!  Rumor has it this one will be used for crayons and markers!
Julianne with her cotton candy smile and Grandpa Pete


We ended the day with a trip down memory lane as we drove around Poughkeepsie - our old stomping grounds.  We lived there for 17 years, so both Megan and Brett are products of the Arlington School District.  Caitlin only lived there for 11 years, but has some great memories.  It was actually Megan's birthday yesterday, so we celebrated with dinner at Mariner's on the Hudson in Highlands, NY.  It is right on the Hudson River and was a favorite restaurant of ours when we lived there.
Mid-Hudson Bridge at night!

Poor Meredith had to go to work today, but the rest of us spent the time around the pool enjoying our "Robison vacay".  Tomorrow we will celebrate the 4th with Meredith's mom and dad - another day of good food, family and fun!!  I hope all of you will be doing something  you enjoy to celebrate the 4th.  I will save my yearly viewing of Independence Day for some good sewing time back in St. Pete.  It is probably one of my all-time favorite movies!!

Monday it's on to Syracuse for some more family and reminiscing.  We lived there for 7 years and it is actually  where both Megan and Brett were born - a long time ago!

I've been checking our orders and quite a few of you are going to be joining us in our very first Sew-Along.  Paula and I are really excited about this new venture.  We are working with some of the fabulous Marcus Fabrics designers and we think we have a fabulous quilt for you to make.  Remember, you can purchase kits from us to make the quilt or you can use your own fabrics.  Yardage requirements were in our first blog about the Sew-Along. (Click on "blog" for the information).   
 Until next time, happy quilting,
Mary Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment