Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Good things and sad things

I think I will start with the sad thing first.  A dear friend, Nancy Rink of Nancy Rink Designs, had a large number of her quilts stolen from her studio this weekend.  Nancy designs quilts and also designs fabric for Marcus Fabrics.  Many of you have probably participated in her BOM programs - El Camino Real, Amish with a Twist for example.  I've included a link to Nancy's Facebook page where she tells the horrible story and has posted pictures of the stolen quilts.  Please be on the look out for these quilts and share this story with fellow quilters.  Hopefully Nancy's quilts will be returned to her.
One of Nancy's stolen quilts
           
And now on to some good things.  Peter arrived home yesterday and brought home all the great things I bought during our vacation - fat quarters, new shoes, big lantern, fun fabric!!  It was also another package day - good package day to be exact!!!  I sorted through the fat quarters and organized a pile for Paula and a pile for myself. I put mine away for when I get sometime to work on my 6 pointed star blocks and Patchwork of the Crosses blocks.  Paula's will get shipped out tomorrow.  

Package number one was more of those "stuff we need" things - a new light, Omnigrid rotary cutter case and more fabric!!!!  Now let me tell you about this light - it's from Stella Lighting and is an LED light with different color spectrums, 5 different degrees of brightness, low heat, energy efficiency and long life.  Jeanne shared these with us when we were at her shop (Country Sampler in Spring Green, WI).  Of course we immediately fell in love with them and added them to our list. I set it up today and can't wait to try it out with some hand sewing.  Should make that needle threading just a little bit easier!  The fabric was Hubba Hubba from Me and My Sister for Moda and Paint Box Batiks from Laundry Basket for Moda.  Great collections!!


Package number two - Landon Creek fabric for the new quilt.  I haven't opened that yet - waiting for Paula to send directions - then I will share pictures.  It's in 2 big bags, so I don't want to "mess it up" until I can sort it out the right way!!

Sunday was "personal" sewing day - in other words, work on the Churn Dash exchange I signed up last September when I vowed I would never do another exchange!!  I made all of the big half square triangles, so I can check that off the list and then it was time to move on to the actual Churn Dash blocks.  I had already done some prep work, so in theory all I had to do was just start sewing.  Too bad I didn't bother to read the "directions" first.  Fortunately I didn't get too far before I caught my mistake, so there wasn't a lot of reverse sewing!!  I un-stitched and set it aside - too big a chance for more mistakes if I continued!!  I did get back to it today and finished 1 set of Churn Dash blocks.  At this rate I can probably have it done by September!  Hmm, I wonder what we'll pick for our next exchange! LOL!!



Friday is getting closer.  Have you bought your kit for Marcus Fabrics Friends and Companions Sew-Along or are you going to use your own fabric?  I know Pam has been working hard to get the directions for her block all ready.  Paula is up next and rumor has it, her directions are just about ready to be posted too - just a final check and edit!!  Spread the word about this great program!  Oh and did I tell you there are prizes too!!!  You could be the recipient of a package and have a good package day yourself!!

Until next time, happy quilting,
Mary Ellen


No comments:

Post a Comment