Saturday, July 26, 2014

Packages

I don't know about you, but I love getting packages in the mail - even when it's something I ordered myself and know exactly what's in the box!!! This week has been package week.  I ordered a Christmas present for daughter Megan and it arrived (I hope you are impressed with the fact that I said Christmas present and it's only July) and I ordered moisturizer for myself and it arrived yesterday, so these weren't really surprises, but packages to open anyway.  (Side note: Megan keeps a calendar on her computer and I had to ask her to mark on her calendar for December where I put her present that arrived in July because December 24th will come and I'll be wondering where I put that present I ordered for her way back in July!!)

The best package that arrived was one from Paula with all sorts of "goodies" in it.  But first, have you ever noticed that some of your friends have notions/goodies/stuff that you don't have and you get that "I have to have that too" feeling?  Well that hit us on the cruise we were on in June.  We had been sitting in a room for 7 days with other quilters and looking at all of the "stuff" that they had with them and we decided to make a "We need this stuff too" list.  We walked around the room with paper and pen and asked our fellow quilters which notions they would recommend and which ones they couldn't live without.  We compiled our list and Paula placed our order.  She actually sent me a couple of things before I left for NY that I knew I just couldn't live without, but the box this week was sent to arrive when I returned home.  Apparently it's been sitting by her front door and she's been throwing things in it.  Opening it and pulling things out was a quilter's Christmas!!

As I look back at the pictures, I realize a lot of these notions are to support our recent addiction to English Paper Piecing - small cutting mats, paper pieces, needles, lights, needle threaders, needle cases, and zipper bags. We did manage to get some fabric too!!!



On the left is French General's Le Bouquet Francais and the right is Barbara Brackman's Morris Modernized

Not only were packages coming in, I was sending them out!!  Wednesday was a shipping day for the kits for the Marcus Fabrics Friends and Companions Sew-Along. The kit inventory for this program is limited.  We ordered fabric for a limited number of kits and at this time we don't plan to reorder, so if you want a kit you need to place your order soon.  Please feel free to use your own fabric for the quilt and I've listed the yardage requirements at the end of this post. Just a reminder, the program begins next Friday, August 1st and Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts will be the 1st designer presenting her block.

I've also been doing a lot of sewing this week, but unfortunately I can't share pictures.  I've been working on a new quilt that we aren't ready to share yet and the SAL, which is a mystery quilt!!  Rumor has it another package is on its way and it has all the "fixins" for a new quilt using Paula's newest collection, Landon Creek.  I'm hoping it's in little baggies, so I can just start sewing!!  I will be able to share this one!! 

The week ahead looks busy - Peter arrives home from his extended vacation and I'll be sewing.  Peter is driving home, so he has the rest of the things we brought to NY with us and the things I bought while we were up there.  That means the fat quarters I bought on my Shopping the Erie Canal trip are coming home and I will be able to send Paula her share - Christmas in July for her!!

Until next time, happy quilting,
Mary Ellen 



Marcus Fabrics
Friends & Companions Sew~Along

Quilt size:  60” x 60”

Yardage Requirements

* For Blocks:

¼ yard cheddar print
½ yard light print #1
1/6 yard red print #1
¼ yard black print
1/6 yard blue print
yard olive green print

* For Quilt Setting and Borders:

1¾ yards red print #2 for outside border
1¼ yards black print for alternate block, inside border and binding.
1 yards light print #2 for alternate block
1 yard olive green print for setting corners and triangles.

4 yards for backing

No comments:

Post a Comment